Thursday, August 7, 2008

Bittersweet week.



"With No Anchor, With No You" - thedreamygiraffe -$20


I aplologise for my probably inconspicuous absence, but I've been here, being sad and keeping busy. My shipmates know (and now you do too), that I was up for a big promotion this year. It's an annual promotion, selected by board after a grueling exam, and I thought I had a good shot this year. I did, really. But for whatever reason, I was (am) not what they were looking for. Circumstances being what they are, I have a hard time escaping my failure. You see, El Jefe has already attained this level in his career. Two years ago, he was selected and the carnival ride that is the transition period began. El Jefe means The Chief. And he is.

Advancement into the Chief Petty Officer grades is the most significant promotion within the enlisted naval ranks. At the rank of Chief, the sailor takes on more administrative duties. In the Navy, their uniform changes to reflect this change of duty, becoming similar to that of an officer albeit with different insignia.

I was eligible for advancement with several of my friends, a few of whom were selected. Mike, Mike, and Jeff; you guys deserve it and I can't wait to shake your hands when it's all over. That part makes it sweet. El Jefe has been chosen to "sponsor" one of his own selectees - an honor in and of itself. He's through the roof proud, and so am I. But I'm still sad. My friends are moving on without me, El Jefe's caught up in the work of the next 5 weeks (the process is a long one . . .) and I haven't really had time for myself to just be sad. It's hard to vent to him, he's very supportive, but hard on me. And he's very busy himself. Sigh. I really just need to take a day off, but I've taken on a bunch more work - both to busy myself and numb the pain, and to do what I can to come closer next year.

Must go study!!

No comments: