Saturday, April 12, 2008

Green Saturday: Fair Trade

Mmmm . . . Good morning! I'm sitting here at my computer drinking my first cup of Fair Trade certified coffee, and feeling jut a little self righteous. After all, MY coffee's Fair Trade!

What does that mean anyway? I've been seeing it a lot on goods ranging from coffees to pillows to candy. What does it mean? How do I know? How can I find more Fair Trade goods? You're in the right place.

Fair trade is a trading partnership, based on dialogue, transparency and respect, which seeks greater equity in international trade. It contributes to sustainable development by offering better trading conditions to, and securing the rights of, marginalized producers and workers - especially in the South. Fair trade organizations (backed by consumers) are engaged actively in supporting producers, awareness raising and in campaigning for changes in the rules and practice of conventional international trade.

Fair Trade Spice Kit from purposedesign on Etsy















How does a product get labelled "Fair Trade"? Through Fairtrade certification by the FLO, or Fairtrade Labelling Organizations International. You can identify FLO products with this seal.


Several Online marketplaces deal primarily in Fair Trade goods, such as the Global Exchange and Ten Thousand Villages. Etsy is also a great place to find Fair Trade goods!
Check out this African Black Liquid Soap from Fairycat!

















These silk cushion covers from cebra are amazing!


















Wear this apron from HotTeaApparel while you make a fresh pot so all your guests know how you feel!


















Big businesses are getting into the mix, too. One of my favorite products ever (thanks to the awesome counselors at Camp Favorite when I was 10 or so) is Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap. I used to buy it at Eastern Mountain Sports back then, and I swore by the Peppermint. I still love it. And now they're Fair Trade Certified!



I hope you have fun shopping for your favorite sustainable and Fair Trade goods this weekend. I'll finish up with my FAVORITE Fair Trade Item on Etsy (besides the coffee!)


This beautiful scarf from toybreaker. I love this scarf. El Jefe - Mother's Day is almost here!

1 comment:

Diana said...

I love your blog.

I love learning about things I didn't even know I cared about. That is, when I'm not traveling the world with you.

Thank you for letting me live vicariously through you, and expand my boundaries exponentially!

xox
Diana